Friday, April 17, 2009

Boy's stepdad sentenced in 'torture' case

Boy's stepdad sentenced in 'torture' case | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional, April 17, 2009:

In [Pierce County superior] court on Friday, the [10-year-old] boy bravely spoke up against the man who admitted to beating the boy to the point he'd pass out and wet himself. Taking long pauses to compose himself during the difficult testimony, the boy told the judge in a low voice that he wishes he could have back all the lost years.

Outside the courtroom, the boy told KOMO News he is torn as to what he wants to happen to his stepfather.

"I wanted him to get the low sentence, and I want to get the high sentence," he said. "I wanted him to get the low sentence for my brothers. I want them to see their dad. But then I want him to get the high sentence because I don't want them to go through the same thing."
If you were a prosecutor or victim's advocate, how would you do to help an abused child through that testimony? And if you represented the convicted man, what would you argue at the sentencing hearing?

No comments: