County hit with big jury award | TheNewsTribune.com | Tacoma, WA, Aug. 17, 2008.
The Pierce County Prosecutor fired Barbara Corey, the number-3 prosecutor in his office, in 2004. She sued and, this week, won a $3 million verdict from a King County jury.
The jury was asked to rule on a number of specific questions and found:
• The Prosecutor’s Office negligently disseminated confidential investigatory information.The county has not decided whether to appeal.
• The office engaged in malicious and reckless conduct and defamed Corey directly and by implication.
• The office placed Corey in a false light before the public.
• The office intentionally disclosed information and its conduct was outrageous.
• The office wrongfully terminated Corey.