Monday, November 17, 2008

Sex Offender Policy Blogs

I just got a note from Erik Mart, a registered sex offender who is blogging about his experience at Monster Mart. He is also working on a memoir, Monstermart: How I Joined America's Most Unwanted. The Stranger had an article about him last year; see my post here.

If you're interested in the topic, check out Sex Offender Issues
, a blog with lots of content -- news, stats, studies, opinion. The author, ZMan emphasizes:

I want to first start off with saying I am NOT pro-pedophile or pro-sex offender but pro-Constitution. I am totally against any form of abuse to any animal or human being. Anybody who commits any crime should be punished. But, once that person has done the time they were convicted under, via contract, and is off parole and/or probation, they should be able to get on with their lives without all the rules and regulations. No other criminal has to live by such draconian laws, so why sex offenders? If we must do this for sex offenders, then I think, to be fair, all criminals must be under similar rules and regulations.
For sentencing generally, you can't beat Prof. Douglas A. Berman's Sentencing Law and Policy (the first blog cited by the U.S. Supreme Court!). Berman's posts about sex offender sentencing are here.

4 comments:

MrCoffee said...

Thanks for the plug. I've been working on the blog for several years now, and my goal was to be a one stop shop for all sex offender related issues.

But, due to the size of the blog, I split it into three:

http://sexoffenderstudies.blogspot.com/

http://sexoffenderstatelaws.blogspot.com/

And I also have a YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SexOffenderIssues

PEACE & GOD BLESS!

Avendora said...

You can also check out my blog (http://offenderrights.blogspot.com) for information. Some of the articles I have written are found on ZMan's blog under my username.

A couple of other links worth looking at are:

www.rightsandlaw.net
www.ncspr.org

Anonymous said...

I have already written a book and in the process of seeking a publisher. I have also maintained a popular site for the past year, www.oncefallen.com, which has had a decent 17,500 visitors. It is a site with useful fact guides and relevant articles.

There is a great online community of resources, support forums, and advocacy groups available to Former Offenders, all of which can be found listed on my links page at Once Fallen.

Erik Mart said...

Thank you for honoring my request, Mary, and for adding the links. it means a lot to me.

Best Wishes,

Erik