Saturday, April 14, 2007

Litigation Podcast

Our dog needs to run a lot at the off-leash park before she's tired. That leaves me with some time to pass while I'm walking and watching her, and lately I've been enjoying some podcasts. Today I listened to a couple of episodes of Litigation Podcast: Tips & Tactics for the Practicing Trial Lawyer, from the ABA Section of Litigation. They're professionally produced, well-paced, and easy to follow (even while walking and keeping an eye on the dog).

Today I listened to "Civility" (from Nov. 3), "A Little Client Service Goes a Long Way" (Oct. 6), and "How Can I Find a Job?" (Sept. 22). In the last, an advice columnist responds to a letter from a 3L who wants to work in IP or antitrust litigation but is in the bottom half of the class -- what to do?

A while back, I heard "Eight Tips for Better Voir Dire" (Nov. 17), "Going Solo and the New E-Discovery Rules" (Dec. 7) (two topics in one podcast). "How to Tell a Judge He Screwed Up" (Feb. 16) has advice from a federal district judge. (Hint: Don't say "You screwed up, you jerk.")

"What They Didn't Tell You in Law School" (Jan. 5) features Mark Herrmann reading a chapter from his book, The Curmudgeon's Guide to Practicing Law (earlier post). He says that the skills of preparing for and taking exams are related to practice skills -- but moot court is less realistic.

I still listen to music and podcasts that are just for fun (the Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me podcasts are great), but this is an easy way to supplement my professional reading. (At the end of each episode, the narrator often tells you other sources -- e.g., an article on the ABA website.)

Other podcasts to try:

No comments: