Thursday, August 24, 2006

School closures based on color, suit alleges

A new community group filed a suit against the Seattle Public Schools in King County Superior Court, alleging that the school district unfairly targeted for closure schools with high representations of minority and poor children. Christine Frey, School closures based on color, suit alleges, Seattle PI, Aug. 22, 2006.

Save Our Children/Kids Education Defense (SOCKED) is supported by community-based organizations and churches. The oversight committee includes Rev. Patrinell Wright, Rev. Carl Livingston, and Chris B. Bennett. The lead attorney is Brenda J. Little; legal advisers include Lem Howell, Ron Ward (WSBA past president), and Carl Linvingston, Jr. Chris H. Bennett, Save Our Children/Kids Education Defense (S.O.C.K.E.D.) Set Up, Seattle Medium, Aug. 17, 2006.

Ms. Little went into private practice after 14 years representing Seattle Public Schools. Suing the district for the first time required an adjustment, she says.

"I mean I was just sick. Just sick. But, you know I had to readjust, and when I was able to prevail on the behalf of the parent and the child, I went 'oh, this is the same thing I was doing when I was there.'"
Former School Lawyer Files Suit Against Closures, KUOW, Aug. 22, 2006.

Filed in: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: